Best viewed with CSS (Style Sheets) enabled!

Tour of Guildford

The Town Wharf

The Town Wharf, with restored treadmill crane in foreground

Before the railway era the Wey Navigation was at times very profitable, carrying gunpowder from the Chilworth Gunpowder works, and chalk, grain, timber, iron and coal to or from London.

Wharves, warehouses and breweries lined both sides of the canal (to the north of the town bridge). A restored treadmill crane dating from at least 1726, which was used to unload grain from barges, now stands near the site of the meal wharf.

Links

friends-international@surrey.ac.ukChristians welcoming international students
in Guildford